Wednesday, February 8, 2012

It's Like Turning In Your Best Friend...




 “Most cases of domestic violence are never reported to the police.” - www.ncadv.org

When I interviewed the “survivor” that I based this piece on, I asked her various questions. However there was one answer in particular that launched my piece in an unexpected direction.

The question I asked her was: “So did you ever call the police?”
Her response: “It is hard to report your abuser, because simply put, you are turning in your best friend.”

Wow…right? Not the answer I was expecting. Best friend?! Of course…that makes sense. 
It is not like her abuser was unknown to her…(these were my initial thoughts)

I believe that often times the “domestic” is forgotten in domestic violence….the abuser is not a stranger…but an intimate partner…a father…a first love….a best friend.

By hearing her perspective a sense of empathy developed in my piece….and it was through empathy that I believe this fight against domestic violence will prevail. 

-Robbie

(Share your thoughts....they matter)

No comments:

Post a Comment